Online Donations now availableThe Diocese of Whitehorse is now accepting online donations via our partner Canada Helps, which is equipped to issue instantaneous tax receipts. Your generosity enables us to serve our communities, care for those in need and accomplish the mission entrusted to us by the Lord. Click on the button below to donate online.
Latest Blog Updates
- Holy Family Apostolate June Reflection - June 2, 2016 Each family has its own specific mission, which is lived out in many ways...
- Holy Family Apostolate May Reflection - May 2, 2016 The duties of each moment are the shadows beneath which hides the divine operation.
- Holy Family Apostolate April Reflection - April 4, 2016 There is not a time to pray and a time not to pray.
- Holy Family Apostolate March Reflection - March 2, 2016 Go into the marketplace and stay with me.
- Holy Family Apostolate February Reflection - February 5, 2016 Man is on a pilgrimage, seeking others like himself with the same needs.
- Holy Family Apostolate January Reflection - January 1, 2016 Everyone longs for some such inward rule, a universal rule as big as the immeasurable law of love, yet as little as the narrowness of our daily routine.
- Holy Family Apostolate December Reflection - December 1, 2015 "Listen to the Spirit" is the next sentence of the Mandate.
- Holy Family Apostolate November Reflection - November 1, 2015 We were created for what the Gospel offers us: friendship with Jesus and love of our brothers and sisters.
- Holy Family Apostolate October Reflection - October 6, 2015 Little, always be little!
- Holy Family Apostolate September Reflection - September 16, 2015 God's heart is the only true resting place for all of us, the real oasis to which God calls us.
Map of the Diocese
The diocese of Whitehorse is vast! It comprises the top northern quarter of the province of British Columbia and the entire Yukon Territory. In this 723,515 square-kilometer area, the total population is approximately 40,000.
Our Catholic population is 7,500, which is served in 23 parishes and missions. Presently four priests, six religious sisters, one Bishop and some very dedicated lay faithful keep the light of Catholic faith shining in our little mission churches.
The seat of the diocese is Whitehorse, the capital city of Yukon Territory. Sacred Heart Cathedral, Our Lady of Victory Parish, and three Roman Catholic schools serve the Whitehorse area.
The vastness of the diocese is matched by the grandeur and beauty of God's creation. The St. Elias mountains with the highest peaks in Canada and massive glaciers, are something to behold. The diocese is geographically situated in the great river watersheds of both the Arctic and Pacific oceans. The Yukon, Liard, Dease, Fort Nelson, Stikine, Nass and Skeena rivers and their tributaries are the historical highways of this land.
The all-season Alaska, Klondike, and Cassiar Highways connect the diocesan missions year round; and provide connections to our neighboring dioceses of Prince George (BC), Mackenzie-Fort Smith (NWT), Grouard-McLennan (Alberta), Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks (Alaska). Air travel connects the people up here nationally and internationally.
To live up here and travel to the small Catholic communities is to experience why "God so loved the World that He gave His only Son" Jn.3:16
It is something beautiful!